Considerations For Breast Augmentation
Major advancements in technology and medicine have made it possible for women to alter almost anything they don’t like about their body. It is possible to have plastic surgery on almost any part of your body to get the look you always dreamed of. One of the most common procedures is breast augmentation; commonly referred to as a boob job.
Breasts have always represented femininity and are closely tied to most women’s self-esteem. Women have always used a number of tricks to make their breasts look fuller like using special bras or inserts.
How Popular Is Breast Enhancement Surgery?
With increased popularity, affordability and safety of breast augmentation procedures, the number of women having breast augmentation surgery is growing by the day. Here are some stats on the top 5 cosmetic surgical procedures in 2017, with breast augmentation at the top, which it has been since 2006:
Top 5 Cosmetic Surgical and Minimally-Invasive Procedures
Minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures grew at a slightly higher rate than surgical procedures in 2017. While three of the top-five surgical procedures focused on the body, the top minimally-invasive procedures focused on the face.
Of the nearly 1.8 million cosmetic surgical procedures performed in 2017, the top 5 were:
- Breast augmentation (300,378 procedures, up 3 percent from 2016)
- Liposuction (246,354 procedures, up 5 percent from 2016)
- Nose reshaping (218,924 procedures, down 2 percent from 2016)
- Eyelid surgery (209,571 procedures, approximately the same as 2016)
- Tummy tuck (129,753 procedures, up 2 percent from 2016)
See more stats here: New Statistics Reveal The Shape Of Plastic Surgery
Pros and Cons Of Cosmetic Breast Enhancement
There are some considerations for breast augmentation you must make before making such a big decision. First, you must consult your doctor, especially if you have significant health problems that may be complicated by the surgery. This is a very important stage that many people often skip.
You cannot rely on the opinion of the plastic surgeon alone. You must also think about why you are getting the surgery. What is the motivation? Who are you trying to please?
Many women will commit to such a big change just to please their spouses or to be accepted by society. This can be a huge, irreversible mistake which can make your life miserable.
One of the biggest complaints of breast enlargement has to do with pain and downtime, but women who have it done before having children also feel it may affect the ability to breastfeed. This video provides more on the pros and cons of breast implants:
The type of implants also matter when planning for your cosmetic breast surgery. Patients have a choice between Saline and Silicone. A good cosmetic surgeon in Anaheim or any city will make a recommendation based on your unique body on what type of implants is better for you as well as the ideal size for your body.
The choice of surgeon is perhaps the most important consideration. The sharp rise in demand for plastic surgery especially in the past decade has led to the rise of thousands of plastic surgery clinics all over the country. Do your research well to find a renowned surgeon with proven results and who is affordable.
Does Insurance Cover My Breast Enlargement Surgery?
One factor to keep in mind is that insurance won’t pay for the procedure unless it is following mastectomy surgery due to breast cancer. If you are doing it for personal reasons, one thing your insurance will possibly cover is your medications.
- Additional Charges at the Time of Surgery. Ask your doctor about all the costs, including the implants, anesthesia, hospital fees, medication, and any other charges. Some surgeons include everything in their fee. Others don’t.
- Further Surgeries. Women who get breast implants usually need another surgery at some point. Some women need additional surgery right away. For example, they may have an allergic reaction or want to adjust the position of the implant. Others may need to replace the original implants years later. Like most medical devices, breast implants don’t last forever. Some implant makers offer lifetime guarantees. If the implant breaks, the company will offer a replacement at no cost. However, check the details. The warranty may not include the cost of the surgery or other expenses. Keep in mind that removing breast implants can cost more than putting them in.
Read the full post here: Breast Implants and Health Insurance
On average, a boob job should cost you around $3,000 to $5,000. However, the price can vary depending on various factors. If you are thinking of getting a breast augmentation procedure done, just be sure it is what you want to avoid future regrets.